Mike, Jon, Gene, list,

I'm not sure the article has much--if anything--to do with 'quasi-mind' as
Peirce conceived of it, Mike, but I am intrigued, as I have been for some
time, by the idea of 'panpsychism', to which the article's author's
'resonance theory of consciousness' suggests, perhaps, an approach to
testing that hypothesis.

While Jon is, of course, quite right that  Peirce wrote that matter was
mind "hidebound with habits," and that matter was "effete mind," and while
Peirce occasionally even suggested that matter was 'dead', he didn't always
see it exactly that way, and even in the passage in which he referred to
matter as "hidebound with habits":.

1892 | The Law of Mind | W 8:155; CP 6.158

…what we call matter is not completely dead, but is merely mind hidebound
with habits. It still retains the element of diversification; and i*n that
diversification there is life *(*in Commens* dictionary, emphasis added by
me).

I would suggest that holding, as the author of the article does, that mind
and matter are "complexified" together, may re-introduce the very dualism
which Peirce's philosophy is at pains to overcome. On the other hand, to
insist that there is *no* life in matter, that it is completely dead, is to
again risk introducing that self-same duality.

And, I would suggest, Jon, that however things may be in consideration of
logic in itself, let's not forget that the *science* is 'logic as
*semeiotic'* and NOT 'logic as *semiosis*.' Which is to say that in the
science there is necessarily a great deal of abstraction from living
semiosis.

Peirce, who, of course, knew nothing of the quantum realm, and so what
might be 'happening' *there*, yet in the context of his tychism thought
that atoms must 'swerve' a little. How else would there ever be variety in
nature? So, now, looking at both the atomic and the quantum levels, it
seems to me that there is indeed quite a bit of 'swerving' at every level
at which one might look at matter.

Or, as Tam Hunt, the author of the article writes:

All things in our universe are constantly in motion, vibrating. Even
objects that appear to be stationary are in fact vibrating, oscillating,
resonating, at various frequencies. Resonance is a type of motion,
characterized by oscillation between two states. And ultimately all matter
is just vibrations of various underlying fields
<https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/july-2013/real-talk-everything-is-made-of-fields>
.

I agree with Gene that the article you posted, Mike, is most
thought-provoking. So thanks for sharing it with us. I think there may be,
at least potentially, much Peirce-related thinking in it even it doesn't
directly relate to Peirce's concert of 'quasi-mind'. Indeed, I hope we
might find ways to pursue Hunt's resonance theory of consciousness further
on the list.

Best,

Gary

xxxx "