Gary R., List:

GR:  I have a slight bit of unease with your substitution of Peirce's
comment that we ought to say that "we are in thought, and not thoughts are
in us" ... A more exact substitution would be that "our Quasi-minds are in
semiosis and not that semiosis (i.e., the activity of signs) is in our
Quasi-minds."

I disagree; I take it as very deliberate that Peirce switched from *thought
*(singular) to *thoughts *(plural)--thought is *continuous*, thoughts are
*discrete*; thought corresponds to *semiosis* (singular), thoughts
correspond to *signs* (plural).

GR:  I wonder how Peirce's remark that signs requiring "at least two
Quasi-minds" which "are. . .welded" "in the sign itself, yet must
nevertheless be *distinct*" (emphasis added) affects your theory.

I consider that remark (CP 4.551; 1906) to be fully consistent with what I
am saying--Peirce was talking about discrete signs (plural), not continuous
semiosis (singular), although he hinted at the latter when he said that the
two Quasi-minds "are at one (*i.e.*, are one mind) in the sign itself."  We
distinguish between the Quasi-utterer and the Quasi-interpreter for the
sake of analysis, as a simple and familiar context for semiosis--a
dialogue, whether between two people or within one's own (Quasi-)mind over
time.

GR:  But further, something vague, which has not yet fully taken form as a
question, has been troubling me as regards your suggestion of semiosic
continuity. It has to do with Peirce's famous dictum that 'symbols grow'.

What does it mean for a Symbol (or other Sign) to grow?  For one thing, "An
interpretant of a symbol is an outgrowth of the symbol" (EP 2:322; 1904).
I suggest accordingly that as a result of continuous semiosis, the
*actual *state
of information in the universe--i.e., the aggregate of all *Informed *Breadth
and Depth, consisting of all Dynamic Objects and Dynamic Interpretants,
respectively--is constantly increasing.

CSP:  The informed breadth and depth suppose a state of information which
lies somewhere between two imaginary extremes. These are, first, the state
in which no fact would be known, but only the meaning of terms; and,
second, the state in which the information would amount to an absolute
intuition of all there is, so that the things we should know would be the
very substances themselves, and the qualities we should know would be the
very concrete forms themselves. This suggests two other sorts of breadth
and depth corresponding to these two states of information, and which I
shall term respectively the *essential* and the *substantial *breadth and
depth. (CP 2.409; 1867)

The final cause of all semiosis is *Substantial *Breadth and Depth, "the
absolute Truth ... the final interpretant of every sign" (EP 2:304; 1904),
the ultimate opinion of an infinite community after infinite inquiry, what
Richard Kenneth Atkins called "cognitive welding"--a *regulative ideal*
that will never *actually *be attained, such that the growth of Signs
will *still
*be ongoing at *any *assignable future date.

CSP:  A symbol is an embryonic reality endowed with power of growth into
the very truth, the very entelechy of reality. (EP 2:322; 1904)

CSP:  The very being of the General, of Reason, *consists *in its governing
individual events. So, then, the essence of Reason is such that its being
never can have been completely perfected. It always must be in a state of
incipiency, of growth ... So, then, the development of Reason requires as a
part of it the occurrence of more individual events than ever can occur ...
This development of Reason consists, you will observe, in embodiment, that
is, in manifestation. The creation of the universe, which did not take
place during a certain busy week, in the year 4004 B.C., but is going on
today and never will be done, is this very development of Reason. (CP
1.615, EP 2:255; 1903)

Consistent with the end of that last passage, I take Peirce quite literally
where he wrote that "the universe is a vast representamen, a great symbol
of God's purpose, working out its conclusions in living realities" (CP
5.119, EP 2:193; 1903).  My own recently developed formulation is that the
universe is a Sign uttered by God, whose Object is God Himself and whose
Interpretant is our knowledge of Him.  In other words, our existing
universe of continuous space-time is *itself *a Sign, and our best science
currently confirms that it is growing; although ...

GR:  Now while it is generally agreed that space is expanding, I'm not sure
that one could same the same of time ... But while both are continuous,
individually at least, neither can be said, I think, to be growing.

What is the basis for drawing a distinction here between "expanding" and
"growing" as applied to space?  Must we likewise distinguish between
"passing" and "growing" as applied to time?  On the contrary, since we can
now conceptualize time as a fourth dimension of continuous space-time,
rather than something *separate *from space, it seems to me that its
passage corresponds to expansion along a single spatial dimension; so we
should view space-time *as a whole* to be expanding, not just space as
somehow *isolated *from time.

GR:  Now it seems to me that semiosis is more like evolution than either
space or time taken separately even given Einstein's theory of space-time
or the solution of famous logical paradoxes.

The parallel that Peirce drew in the originally quoted comment was not
between thought/semiosis and space, time, or even space-time; it was
between thought/semiosis and motion *through* space-time.  I iterated
several drafts of my initial post before sending it, and the first few
ended with a question--if individual (Quasi-)minds correspond to physical
bodies, thought/semiosis (singular) corresponds to continuous motion, and
thoughts/signs (plural) correspond to discrete points at discrete instants,
what is the *medium *that corresponds to space-time?  I ultimately omitted
it after deciding that either (a) this is where the analogy breaks down, or
(b) space-time is *also* the medium for semiosis, in the sense that Signs
as *real *(and continuous) Types are embodied/manifested in Instances as
*actual* (and discrete) Tokens.