Jon, with your amendments below, I think we are generally in accord about those 
parts of The Bedrock that we’ve discussed; and as you’ve probably seen, your 
guess as to what I would say about cuts was right on the money. There are still 
some parts of R 300 that remain puzzling to me, or interesting for other 
reasons, but I’ll have to leave those for another day. Unless you or someone 
else clears those things up first.

 

Gary R, I’ve been pondering your question about the relationship between the 
“Three Universal Categories” and the “Three Universes of Experience,” but I 
haven’t come up with a satisfactory answer to it. Maybe one will turn up later 
… 

 

Gary f. 

 

From: Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected]> 
Sent: 5-Mar-19 19:59
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] The Bedrock Beneath Pragmaticism

 

Gary F., List:

 

Upon further consideration, I would like to make two related amendments to the 
latter part of my earlier post.

*       The Phemic Sheet represents the Universe of Truth, which need not be 
the Universe of Actuality; it "denote[s] that object ... which the Graphs, from 
their very first, find to have been settled upon, by a previous understanding 
between the Graphist and the Interpreter, as that to which all their 
significations must refer" (R 300:71-72[36-37]).
*       Accordingly, two- or even three-dimensional EGs can only denote Objects 
that exist (or not) in that Universe, which consists of everything that is 
already known to both the Graphist and the Interpreter by virtue of Collateral 
Experience--what Peirce elsewhere called the commens (EP 2:478; 
1906)--regardless of which modal Universe it might inhabit.

Thanks,

 

Jon S.

 

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

Gary F., List:

 

I agree that Peirce ultimately gave up on iconizing modality in two-dimensional 
Gamma EGs, instead settling for the R 514 tutorial that only covers Alpha and 
Beta.  A three-dimensional implementation might be more successful in that 
regard, consistent with his description of the Universes as "so utterly 
different that we may well liken them to a set of three mutually perpendicular 
directions from which any object may be viewed" (R 300:72[37]) and as 
"different dimensions of the logical Universe" (R 300:80[37]) whose "mutual 
relations,--imaged by perpendicularities in sets of three,--are relations 
between different Modalities" (R 300:76[38]).  I wonder if he was hinting at 
this further in the following passage from a different manuscript, which I came 
across yesterday.

 

CSP:  But in one respect at any rate [the system of] Existential Graphs is 
essentially different from language.  Namely, instead of being merely 
protracted in time, its expressions are diagrams upon a surface, and indeed 
must be regarded as only a projection upon that surface of a sign extended in 
three dimensions.  Three dimensions are necessary and sufficient for the 
expression of all assertions; so that, if man's reason was originally limited 
to the line of speech, (which I do not affirm,) it has now outgrown the 
limitation. (R 654:6-7; 1910 Aug 19)

 

I now see even more clearly what you meant about our different "approach[es] to 
Peircean studies" and the danger of "sink[ing] into purely terminological 
issues," so I will not belabor my points about "Universe" and "Experience" any 
further.

 

I was not "ignoring Peirce’s careful distinction between the [polyadic] 
continuity of the two-dimensional sheet and that [linear continuity] of the 
one-dimensional line," I was commenting on it.  I assume that Peirce was quite 
intentional about specifying that a Line of Identity is heavily drawn, such 
that it has a very visible width to it, while a Cut is thinly drawn.  After 
all, he wrote that the Phemic Sheet represents "the field of attention," 
including "those places where, nothing being scribed, no particular attention 
is paid"; while the Line of Identity, which is "generated by the continuity of 
the different places of a heavy dot," represents "the continuity in attentive 
observation of an individual object" (R 300:39-41[39-40]).  Again, the Line of 
Identity for an individual is only continuous because the Phemic Sheet for the 
Universe of Actuality, which underlies it, is also (and more fundamentally) 
continuous--except where a Cut creates a discontinuity.

 

I was also not ignoring Peirce's "statement that the three Universes cannot be 
represented by the icons which make up the Graphs, and can only be represented 
by differentiation of the surfaces on which those icons are drawn."  I was 
simply noting his other statement that the differences of the three Universes 
correspond only to differences of the Objects to which the Graphs refer, not 
the propositions as a whole or their predicates.  Two-dimensional EGs can only 
denote Objects that exist (or not) in the Universe of Actuality.

 

I look forward to reading what you have to say about Cuts, especially given 
your claim that it "spells trouble for the whole system of EGs."  Are you 
perhaps referring to Peirce's remarks in R 300 about the inadequacy of 
representing "the concept of Sequence" as "a composite of two Negations"?

 

Regards,

 

Jon S.

 

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to