On 3/5/2019 4:15 PM, Jerry LR Chandler wrote:
the newly transcribed Bedrock manuscript concerning the role
of subjects and predicates in the Bedrock as contrasted with
the Artificial Intelligent Interpretations of John Sowa.

There is much more to say about the Bedrock, but I just wanted
to make one point clear:  My father was a chemical engineer,
and I started to call water H2O before I was in Kindergarten.

I memorized the periodic table, and I loved organic chemistry.
But I decided to major in math because it was easier than
spending days and nights in a lab.  I did not major in AI
because I thought it was "flaky".

The primary reason why I started to work on AI was that
I was more interested in linguistics and logic, I was
working at IBM, and AI enabled me to do something with
computers that combined linguistics and logic.

Like CSP, my interests in organic chemistry led me to graphs
for representing logic.  The chemists have also done more
computational work on processing very large collections of
very large graphs than most people working in AI.  That is
an important theoretical and computational convergence.

But I also realize that analogies that may be useful as
inspiration, frequently break down when you push them too far.
When you get down to the details, logical graphs and chemical
graphs diverge in more ways than they converges.

For example, I have published many articles with a colleague,
Arun Majumdar.  Arun had been doing graduate work in organic
chemistry and almost died from a project with hexavalent
chromium.  That's when he decided it was safer to compute
graphs than to synthesize them.

John
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to