Ben, Edwina, John, List:

I greatly appreciate Ben's kind words, but would like to offer some
clarifications in light of the specific concerns that John and Edwina have
expressed.

BN:  I want to know what Peirce thought, and that is why I most value what
Jon is doing.

ET:  First, if you want to know what Peirce thought, then I think you will
have to read the works yourself and make up your own mind.


I agree with Edwina that there is no substitute for reading Peirce's own
writings in order to find out what *he *thought.  In particular, I highly
recommend exploring the images of his actual manuscripts; this provides
valuable insights into his thinking process *as it was happening*,
including his tendency to change his mind *while he was writing*.  I can
relate to this aspect of his approach--as a saying attributed to various
authors puts it, "I write to find out what I think"--but the key difference
is that no one else will ever see my discarded drafts; in fact, I am very
zealous about reviewing and editing anything that *will *be read by others,
including my posts to the List.  I suspect that this contributes to the
(understandable but inaccurate) impression that my opinions on the matter
at hand are always already set in stone.

BN:  I would very much like JAS to continue to present his understanding of
what Peirce thought as JAS goes through more MSS. and tackles more subjects
in it.

This is a more accurate description of my approach--I say what I think *about
*what Peirce thought, usually by linking and commenting on passages from
his voluminous writings in a way that is intended to propose a coherent
synthesis *with respect to a specific topic*.  I do not claim, and never
have claimed, Peirce's approval or endorsement for these efforts or their
outcomes.  Contrary to Edwina's frequent and tiresome complaint, I am
*not *setting
myself up as "The Peircean Gatekeeper."  Contrary to John's latest
suggestion, I am *not *"trying to produce a a definitive version of
Peirce's philosophy."  Like (hopefully) everyone else on the List, I
consider myself to be *a student of Peirc*e, such that my attempts at
"harmonizing" are primarily for the purpose of *learning *from him; but any
resulting "system" is ultimately my own.

Regards,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:13 AM Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ben, list
>
> Thank you for your post but I don't think it is as simple as you outline.
>
> First, if you want to know what Peirce thought, then I think you will have
> to read the works yourself and make up your own mind. Even if you don't
> have access to all of Peirce's work and none of us do  - I think it
> is incumbent on anyone to make up their own mind. I don't think that anyone
> on this list is The Peircean Gatekeeper. My view is that one doesn't become
> a 'Peircean authority' by how much of Peirce one has read but by an
> understanding of the agenda of Peirce's approach. I happen to think that
> this approach is quite consistent over his lifetime, despite his different
> commentaries and despite the years. I think that understanding this
> approach is not based on how much one has read but on an entirely separate
> issue - you either 'get it' or you don't. And we can debate what 'it' is.
>
> I myself, after all, disagree with much - a very great deal -  of JAS's
> interpretations of Peirce - and reserve the right to read Peirce and make
> up my own mind. I've frequently argued with JAS but find him very
> defensive about his views - and insisting only on 'constructive criticism'
> - a term which is in itself meaningless. My point is that all we can do is
> offer our analyses to each other - but - defending them as 'beyond
> critique' is not part of an academic debate. After a while, one simply has
> to 'agree to disagree'. And leave it at that. But I think some people here,
> and I include JAS, have trouble doing that...and trouble 'allowing' others
> to have different interpretations of Peirce.
>
> After all - I've been attacked, and I include JAS in this group, as not
> merely misunderstanding Peirce, but as offering 'unscientific, esoteric
> outlines' of his pragmatic functionality, of offering 'non-Peircean' views
> which aren't In The Text and told that I should openly declare my
> non-Peircean approach. {Note: I don't keep archives - which I think can be
> a bit obsessive - and am paraphrasing].
>
> So- it isn't as simple or one-sided as you outline.
>
> Edwina
>
> On Wed 19/06/19 8:32 AM , Ben Novak [email protected] sent:
>
> Dear John, Gary, et al.:
>
> I have been following on this listserv for many years, for a few years in
> the late '90s and early '00s, and then since about 2009.
> Over all that time, I have found what JAS has been doing to be the most
> valuable. I understand that as his efforts to present Peirce's thought,
> from a careful knowledge of more of his (Peirce's) works than most have
> access to.
>
> I want to know what Peirce thought, and that is why I most value what Jon
> is doing. John Sowa may be right that Peirce valued a constantly growing
> thought process. Fine, and I recommend John show that to us.
>
> But I do not appreciate the personal attacks on JAS. Let him do his thing.
> If one disagrees, one does not have to make it personal, simply present
> what you think is correct. One does not have to slam JAS in order to do so.
>
> I would very much like JAS to continue to present his understanding of
> what Peirce thought as JAS goes through more MSS. and tackles more subjects
> in it. Please, for Goodness' sake, let him do it. Indeed, encourage him to
> do it.
> If anyone has a different approach, please present it without having to
> attack someone.
>
> Advice to JAS: Don't take the attacks personally. If the attacker raises
> an issue, present what you think about the issue--without referring to the
> attacker. Just do your thing, because you are doing it well.
>
> Advice to John Sowa: If you think Peirce's thinking did not end at his
> death, fine; take us to new heights. But one does not have to do that over
> anyone else's dead body.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ben Novak
> 5129 Taylor Drive, Ave Maria, FL 34142
> Telephone: (814) 808-5702
> Mobile: (814) 424-8501
>
> "All art is mortal, not merely the individual artifacts, but the arts
> themselves. One day the last portrait of Rembrandt and the last bar of
> Mozart will have ceased to be—though possibly a colored canvas and a
> sheet of notes may remain—because the last eye and the last ear
> accessible to their message will have gone." Oswald Spengler
>
>
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to