Jon Alan, List,

I think that by now our discussion about interpretants has been carried trough
to a sufficient degree. In the sense that the respective positions have been
clarified as far as possible and no further gain is to be expected.

Yust one note about doubt supposed to be a habit. The method to resolve doubt
can be called a habit (tenacity, etc.). But doubt itself is a secondness, a
resistance, just like a tooth ache. Somewhere in the semiotic fabric a door
proved shut and an interpretation process couldn't be completed satisfactory.
Semiotics provides a strategy to systematically inspect the process and
indicate where the obstruction resides and what to look for as a remedy.

I only consider one subject deserving further discussion: qualisigns. It
surprises me that you omit them.

JAS: For example, my speculative grammar does not include qualisigns at all,
for the reason that I already stated--a quality in itself cannot represent
something else as its object, it can only present itself.

---

As a side remark I wrote "collection of qualities" and not just "quality".

You hit the hammer on the nail! Exactly. The question is: To what do they
present themselves?

In analysis mode continuing. Collections of qualisigns present themselves to an
interpreting thought in development, by being taken as a sign for some object.
- I use the stages  Sarbo and farkas introduced-

First step is sorting, i.e. It gets severed from the interpreting sheet by
appearing as a one time (with an indefinite beginning and end, etc.) iconic
form (icon aspect, collection of qualities) written on the sheet (sinsign
aspect).

Next comes abstraction. The form proves (un)familiar to the sheet (legisign
aspect or doubt), but the completion of the process also depend on the
interpretative interpretational possibilities a (un)familiar form offers to
this sheet (Rheme aspect).

By the way. I always regarded Claudio's nonagons to deal with this rhematic
aspect. In short and incomplete: Take the Bense diagramm of the 9 sign aspects.
Take something you are interested in. Claudio has a very nice one on color. Put
color in the index position and start pondering color from the point of view of
the different sign aspects. Like KiF, it is like doing a sudoku. A fascinating
feat is the possibility to drill down in each field in order to arrange the
items you found. In KiF you only drill down in the index position, in order to
explicates the sub-processes, needed for completion of the process.

Next completion. The legisign may be indexically connected with a symbol, like
for example 'horse'.  Lets just stick to part of a lexicon as rhematic
possibilities of the sign and take 1. an animal and 2. a gymnastics device.
Depending on the context the sheet is in, one of these possibilities (only
potentially present) will surface (dynamical interpretant aspect). If the habit
fits the situation, we have a satisfying result. As a side result, the normal
interpretant gets strenghtend.

How could we arive there, if the qualisigns did not present themselves?

it is of interest to note that already in 1868 Peirce remarked that `[. . . ]
in no instant in my state of
mind there is cognition or representation, but in the relation of different
instants there is.'

[...] the immediate (and therefore in itself insusceptible of mediation
-the Unanalyzable, the Inexplicable, the Unintellectual ) runs in a
continuous stream through our lives. W. II, p. 22730

The step from stating that the unanalyzable runs in a coninuous stream through
our lives, to the statement that
qualisigns enter the interpretational process by emerging on the Semiotic Sheet
as an sinsign/icon adressing rheme and legisign, is not that great.

In box-x, the model Peirce created to generate the 16 booleans. First step take
an x and put 00, 10, 10 and 11 in the 4 compartments. Step 2, repeat step one
in each section, prefix the value we already have in that compartment.

Let FFFF express the unintellectual, the unknowable that runs in a continuous
stream through our lives (qualisigns)

And let TTTT express all that can possibly be expressed by a sign, whether true
or false in any assumed universe.

Over and against any cognition, there is an unknown but knowable
reality; but over against all possible cognition, there is only the
selfcontradictory.
Writings II, p. 208

hen,  box-x can be regarded as expressing what is logically involved in the
process that runs from doubt to belief. Rotate the diamond and we get the Bense
diagram, with qualisigns at the FFFF position and TTTT at the argument position
and we established a link with the work of Claudio. Rotate again to its
original position and we have KiF with the sign aspects on the nodes.

>From the point of view of architectonics here we have a nice example of how
>logic and semiotic are related. The former delivering  the principles, the
>latter the matter.  Phaneroscopy inbetween, only covering the apprehension of
>the sign as an object, or probably better, it covers the proces that takes the
>collection of qualities as a sign.

Here resides one reason why I propose to distinghuis an alpha, beta and gamma
part of semiotics. Box-x is a relation between the Booleans and the small
classification.   It is to be expected that what the Welby classification adds,
works, so to speak, as a modifier on the nodes. As step 2 in Box-x did. Bernard
Moran has a nice book about the relation between the Small and the Welby
classification highly relevant for this point.

Best,

Auke

> [...]
> be qualities of tokens that can affect the dynamical interpretant that it
> determines--voice inflections, punctuation marks, font changes for emphasis,
> etc.
>
>     Moreover, the object of a sign is not necessarily another sign, and the
> object of an interpretant is always the same as the object of the sign that
> determines it.  In my speculative grammar, t he immediate object of a term is
> what any token of the same type possibly could denote to someone with the
> requisite collateral experience in the past (for descriptives) or collateral
> observation in the present (for designatives); while the dynamical object is
> what a particular token actually does denote on a particular occasion,
> whether a quality (for abstractives) or a thing (for concretives).  The
> immediate object of a proposition or an argument  is "the logical universe of
> discourse" (CP 2.323, EP 2:283, 1903), which is the collection of the
> immediate objects of the terms that it involves; while the dynamical object
> is "the universe of all universes" (CP 5.506, c. 1905), which is "the
> totality of all real objects" (CP 5.152, EP 2:209, 1903).
>

>         > >         AvB:  And here we see why besides the immediate,
> dynamical and final interpetant, we need interpretants like the intentional,
> effectual and communicational/cominterpretant if we want to understand and
> discuss communication as an open ended process.
> >
> >     >
>     Fair enough, but I see a distinction between the (exactly three)
> different kinds of interpretants that every individual sign token must have
> (immediate/dynamical/final) and three different functions that these
> interpretants can have (intentional/effectual/communicational)  within the
> specific context of communication .  In other words, for me they are not
> different interpretants, but rather the same interpretants as characterized
> from different analytical perspectives.
>

>         > >         AvB:  By the way, the effectual interpretant in effect is
> not a habit change but the resolution of doubt into belief.
> >
> >     >
>     In my view, since a belief is a habit, "the resolution of doubt into
> belief" is a habit-change.  In my speculative grammar, the final interpretant
> of any term is association, which is a habit of feeling; the final
> interpretant of any proposition is belief, which is a habit of conduct; and
> the final interpretant of any argument is persuasion, which is a habit-change.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
>     Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran
> Laymanhttp://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
>     -http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
>
>     On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM < a.bree...@chello.nl
> mailto:a.bree...@chello.nl > wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         I frogot one indication of the person writing. So, this one reads

RE: AvB:

>             Note that I did not write 'pure icon signs', but 'pure icons'. We
> need 'pure icons' and 'pure indexes' if we want to semiotically analyze the
> process of interpreting signs that offer themselves for interpretation. As
> Lizska I regard this as a process of translation running, in analytical mode,
> from qualisigns to a responsive sign type. Just a shot indication of that
> translational process.
>             The object of the collection of qualisigns is the sign that
> offers itself for interpretation. The object of the pure icon you are writing
> about has the collection of qualisigns as its object. The object of the pure
> sinsign is the actually inhering of the qualisign/icon combination in my
> sheet of semiosis (or mind if you wish) as its object. The index glues icon
> and sinsign together. By being indexically connected the sinsign icon may
> have the legisign as its interpretant (this depends on whether the sign that
> has to be interpreted is familiar or not), while the iconic sinsign has the
> rheme as its interpretant. The legisign has the sinsign icon as its object
> and the symbol as its interpretant. The Rheme has the icon sinsign as its
> object and the symbol as its interpretant. If the goals, the situation and
> the background knowledge of parties communicating, in short if the intended
> and the effectual interpretant are the same (cominterpretant), then it is to
> be expe!
 xted that the dynamical interpretant and the symbol are in harmony and that
the sign will reach its intended effect. If however the dynamical interpretant
(effectual interpretant) and the symbol (intended interpretant) differ, the
conversation goes in a direction that is not intended.   For a sign type we
have sign aspects that together constitute the type, for the translation
process, the aspects function as signs themselves, not real signs as the types,
but virtual signs in the process of interpretation often covered by habits, but
not always and, also, not always the habits of both parties are the same.