Jon A., List:

I assume that this a response to the last two statements quoted from Peirce
in the referenced slide.

CSP:I desire to have the privilege of creating an English word, *phaneron*,
to denote whatever is throughout its entirety open to assured observation.
No external object is throughout its entirety open to observation. (R
337:7, 1904)

I can see how this might bring to mind "the unknowable object in itself"
for someone who is otherwise unfamiliar with Peirce's writings, but it
surprises me that it is coming from someone who has studied them carefully.
For example ...

CSP: The present writer was a pure Kantist until he was forced by
successive steps into Pragmaticism. The Kantist has only to abjure from the
bottom of his heart the proposition that a thing-in-itself can, however
indirectly, be conceived; and then correct the details of Kant's doctrine
accordingly, and he will find himself to have become a Critical
Common-sensist. (CP 5.452, EP 2:353-354, 1905)

Besides, in R 337, Peirce is talking about observation rather than
knowledge. His point is *not *that any external object is unknowable in
itself, but that phaneroscopy studies *only *that which is or could be *present
to the mind*, and thus "throughout its entirety open to assured
observation." What we *know *about external objects is the result of *inference
*rather than direct observation, beginning with quasi-abductive perceptual
judgments as "the first premisses of all our reasonings" (CP 5.116, EP
2:191, 1903).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian