Gary F, Helmut, John, Jon, List,

Some have suggested that the aim of phenomenology is to provide an analysis and
account of human consciousness. I have a question about the focus on
consciousness.

The business of the phenomenology, I believe, is to provide the resources and
techniques needed to make more exacting analysis of scientific observations.
Careful phenomenological analysis puts scientists in a better position to
develop models, make measurements and frame hypotheses.

Take inquiry in logic as an example. Phenomenological analysis of surprising
observations about arguments that we hold to be valid or invalid will put the
logician in a better position to frame hypotheses about the principles of logic.

Assuming this is on the right track, what should we say about unconscious forms
of bias and prejudice that might effect the validity of reasoning? Does
phenomenology supply us with the resources needed to analyze such forms of bias
and prejudice?

If the sole object of inquiry in phenomenology is conscious experience,
unconscious forms of bias and prejudice would appear to be outside of the scope
of phenomenological inquiry.

Here is my question:  is phenomenological analysis restricted to conscious
experience, or are we capable of making analyses of unconscious forms of bias
and prejudice that might shape our experience?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy