Gary F, John S, all, List,

I meant to restrict the question to Peirce's phenomenology. The aim was to
clarify the business of philosophers who are doing phenomenology as part of
their inquiry in logic, ethics, metaphysics, or what have you.

The points you make about the vagueness of our conception of consciousness and
the continuity in the degrees of conscious awareness with respect to various
phenomena are points I accept--both as an understanding of Peirce's position
and as starting points in my own inquiries. I'd go further an add another
points Peirce makes, which is that it is probably a mistake to focus too much
on the conception of consciousness in one's philosophical theory of cognition
because the conception is so vague. Rather, we would do better to focus on the
clearer conception what is and is not under self-control. One of the points I
was trying to make in asking the question was to put pressure on those who seem
to think Peirce's main aim in developing a phenomenological theory is to
provide a grounding for a philosophical theory of consciousness.

As I indicated earlier, I believe the main business of doing Peircean
phenomenology is to provide the resources and techniques needed to make more
exacting analyses of scientific observations. Careful phenomenological analysis
of the phenomena that have been observed puts scientists in a better position
to develop models, make measurements, frame hypotheses, etc. Having offered
this general account of the business of the Peircean phenomenologist, I'd like
to add the central goals of identifying possible sources of observational error
and correcting for those errors.

In the hopes of clarifying my own understanding of the aims of Peircean
phenomenology, let me borrow a distinction. Mathematicians make a distinction
between inquiry in pure mathematics and the application of formal systems to
real world problems in applied mathematics. In a similar vein, I think it might
be helpful to make an analogous distinction between the aims of developing a
pure theory of phenomenology as compared to the business of applying such a
theory to problems in the normative sciences, metaphysics, or the special
sciences--or to our common sense experience and understanding.

For my part, I'd like to get clearer on how the pure phenomenological theory is
supposed to support and guide the applied activities--such as the activities of
identifying possible sources of observational error, correcting for those
errors, framing productive questions, exploring informal diagrammatic
representations of the problems, measuring the phenomena, formulating plausible
hypotheses, and generating formal mathematical models of the hypothetical
explanations.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor