Jon AS,

JAS: Again, I tend to think of an immediate interpretant as an interpretant of
a type, each dynamical interpretant as an interpretant of a token, and the
final interpretant as the interpretant of the sign. Any given proposition
(sign) has a certain final interpretant, formulations of it in different
languages and other systems of signs such as EGs (types) have somewhat
different immediate interpretants, and each utterance of it (token) can have
very different dynamical interpretants in the minds of different interpreters.

GF: OK, I missed that somehow. So when you refer to the three interpretants of
the one sign, you are thinking of “type” and “token” as aspects of the one
sign, not as different signs; so the proposition and its embodiment (sinsign)
are one sign, not two. I’ve never thought of it that way, and I’m not sure I
want to … but it raises some questions: Does the presumable tone aspect of a
sign not get interpreted at all? Do all signs have both type and token aspects,
or only legisigns?

GF: A proposition as defined by Peirce is translatable as well as replicable. A
printed, written or uttered text is only replicable, not translatable, and an
interpretant is a kind of translation, in my view.

JAS: How are you (and Peirce) defining "translatable" and "replicable" here?
When someone reads or hears a printed, written, or uttered text, is the
resulting dynamical interpretant in that person's mind a translation or a
replication?

GF: As for Peirce, I’m relying on the definition of proposition that I quoted
earlier in this thread from CP 8.313. By a replica I mean simply a copy, in the
sense that all printed copies of a published book are copies of the one book,
all essentially identical except in numerical identity. (Peirce of course used
“replica” as a technical term in his 1903 lectures and writings about both
signs and graphs.) A translation of a text is embodied differently from the
text, e.g. it’s in a different language, but is more or less recognizable to
anyone who knows both languages as a translation, i.e. as a rendering of the
same symbol that determined the embodiment of the original text. (And the more

recognizable it is, the more we judge it to be a good translation.) So in that
sense a dynamical interpretant is a translation, not a mere replica or copy of
the sign. I don’t consider a copy of a written, printed or vocally uttered text
to be an interpretant of it.

This thread is reminding me of the parenthetical remark Peirce made in R 1476:

CSP: It is by a patient examination of the various modes (some of them quite
disparate) of interpretations of signs and of the connections between these (an
exploration in which one ought, if possible, to provide himself with a guide,
or, if that cannot be, to prepare his courage to see one conception that will
have to be mastered peering over the head of another, and soon another peering
over that, and so on, until he shall begin to think there is to be no end of
it, or that life will not be long enough to complete the study) that …

GF: That’s a replica, not an interpretant.

Gary f.