Gary F., List:

GF: So when you refer to the three interpretants of the *one sign*, you are
thinking of “type” and “token” as *aspects of the one sign*, not as
different signs ...

Although I would not call them "aspects," this is basically where I landed
after wrestling for a while with the ambiguity of "sign" throughout
Peirce's writings on semeiotic. However, I would not be surprised to
discover that there are problematic elements of my resulting speculative
grammar that I have not yet fully recognized.

In summary, every *sign *has one *final *interpretant that is common to all
its types and all their tokens, every *type *has one *immediate *interpretant
that is common to all its tokens, and every *token *has one *dynamical
*interpretant
for each distinct effect of it. The underlying diagrammatic conception is
that the sign itself is a continuum of three dimensions for an argument,
two dimensions for a proposition, or one dimension for a name. Its types
are portions of the same dimensionality, and its tokens are discrete points
within those portions where different spaces, surfaces, and lines intersect.

GF: ... so the proposition and its embodiment (sinsign) are one sign, not
two.

Each *actual *expression of the proposition is one token of one sign in
accordance with one type. Another expression of the proposition in the same
language is a different token of the same sign in accordance with the same
type. An expression of the proposition in a different language is a
different token of the same sign in accordance with a different type.

GF: Does the presumable tone aspect of a sign not get interpreted at all?

I understand a tone to be a quality *of a token* that affects its *dynamical
*interpretants. Two tokens of the same type, but with different tones, can
thus have different dynamical interpretants. Examples of tones in this
sense include voice inflections, punctuation marks, and font changes for
emphasis such as bold, italics, or underline.

As you probably know, Marc Champagne takes a very different approach in his
2018 book, *Consciousness and the Philosophy of Signs*. He employs "tone"
for the qualitative presentation of a sign and "type" for each different
meaning that it can have. In his example, "Because of his long *fast*, he
was too weak to stand *fast *or hold *fast* or even to run *fast*," he thus
counts one tone, four tokens, and three types. While this seems like a
potentially useful distinction, I do not see how it is at all compatible
with Peirce's explicit definitions of a type as "a *definitely *significant
Form" and a tone as "[a]n *indefinite *significant character such as a tone
of voice" (CP 4.537, 1906; emphasis mine).

GF: Do *all *signs have both type and token aspects, or only legisigns?

My understanding of Peirce's different sign taxonomies is that
qualisign/sinsign/legisign in 1903 is virtually synonymous with
tone/token/type in 1906, such that the latter terminology effectively
replaces the former. That is why, as you might have noticed, I generally
avoid the earlier terms and stick with the later ones. In any case, I do
lean toward all signs having both types and tokens, including natural signs
as well as uttered signs. For example, ripples on the surface of a lake are
a type of a natural sign that indicates the direction of the wind, which is
embodied in a token wherever there are *actual *ripples on the surface of
an *actual *lake.

GF: So in that sense a dynamical interpretant is a translation, not a mere
replica or copy of the sign.

That is what I expected you to say, and I agree. However, it seems
inconsistent with your previous statement--"A printed, written or uttered
text is only replicable, not translatable." A printed, written, or uttered
text is *translated *every single time it is read or heard, thus producing
another dynamical interpretant, and therefore is obviously *translatable* as
well as replicable. What am I missing?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian