From: peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu <peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu> On
Behalf Of Jon Alan Schmidt
Sent: 31-Oct-21 21:05
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] A key principle of normative semeiotic for interpreting
texts

Gary F., List:

GF: So when you refer to the three interpretants of the one sign, you are
thinking of “type” and “token” as aspects of the one sign, not as different
signs ...

Although I would not call them "aspects," this is basically where I landed
after wrestling for a while with the ambiguity of "sign" throughout Peirce's
writings on semeiotic. However, I would not be surprised to discover that there
are problematic elements of my resulting speculative grammar that I have not
yet fully recognized.

In summary, every sign has one final interpretant that is common to all its
types and all their tokens, every type has one immediate interpretant that is
common to all its tokens, and every token has one dynamical interpretant for
each distinct effect of it. The underlying diagrammatic conception is that the
sign itself is a continuum of three dimensions for an argument, two dimensions
for a proposition, or one dimension for a name. Its types are portions of the
same dimensionality, and its tokens are discrete points within those portions
where different spaces, surfaces, and lines intersect.

GF: ... so the proposition and its embodiment (sinsign) are one sign, not two.

Each actual expression of the proposition is one token of one sign in
accordance with one type. Another expression of the proposition in the same
language is a different token of the same sign in accordance with the same
type. An expression of the proposition in a different language is a different
token of the same sign in accordance with a different type.

GF: Does the presumable tone aspect of a sign not get interpreted at all?

I understand a tone to be a quality of a token that affects its dynamical
interpretants. Two tokens of the same type, but with different tones, can thus
have different dynamical interpretants. Examples of tones in this sense include
voice inflections, punctuation marks, and font changes for emphasis such as
bold, italics, or underline.

As you probably know, Marc Champagne takes a very different approach in his
2018 book, Consciousness and the Philosophy of Signs. He employs "tone" for the
qualitative presentation of a sign and "type" for each different meaning that
it can have. In his example, "Because of his long fast, he was too weak to
stand fast or hold fast or even to run fast," he thus counts one tone, four
tokens, and three types. While this seems like a potentially useful
distinction, I do not see how it is at all compatible with Peirce's explicit
definitions of a type as "a definitely significant Form" and a tone as "[a]n
indefinite significant character such as a tone of voice" (CP 4.537, 1906;
emphasis mine).

GF: Do all signs have both type and token aspects, or only legisigns?

My understanding of Peirce's different sign taxonomies is that
qualisign/sinsign/legisign in 1903 is virtually synonymous with tone/token/type
in 1906, such that the latter terminology effectively replaces the former. That
is why, as you might have noticed, I generally avoid the earlier terms and
stick with the later ones. In any case, I do lean toward all signs having both
types and tokens, including natural signs as well as uttered signs. For
example, ripples on the surface of a lake are a type of a natural sign that
indicates the direction of the wind, which is embodied in a token wherever
there are actual ripples on the surface of an actual lake.

GF: So in that sense a dynamical interpretant is a translation, not a mere
replica or copy of the sign.

That is what I expected you to say, and I agree. However, it seems inconsistent
with your previous statement--"A printed, written or uttered text is only
replicable, not translatable." A printed, written, or uttered text is
translated every single time it is read or heard, thus producing another
dynamical interpretant, and therefore is obviously translatable as well as
replicable. What am I missing?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>