Helmut, List:

HR: The object determines the sign, the sign the interpretant, and *the
interpretant changes the object*, which is some sort of determination too.

According to Peirce, the bolded part is incorrect.

CSP: As a *medium*, the Sign is essentially in a triadic relation, to its
Object which determines it, and to its Interpretant which it determines. In
its relation to the Object, the Sign is *passive*; that is to say, its
correspondence to the Object is brought about by an effect upon the Sign,
the Object remaining unaffected. On the other hand, in its relation to the
Interpretant the Sign is *active*, determining the Interpretant without
being itself thereby affected. (EP 2:544n22, 1906)

The directionality of semiosis is such that the object determines the sign
while being unaffected by that sign, and the sign determines the
interpretant while being unaffected by that interpretant. Hence, the object
determines the interpretant through the mediation of the sign while being
unaffected by that interpretant.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt