FYI
JLRC

Friday, April 12th @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDT

This talk will also be available live streamed on: Zoom at
https://pitt.zoom.us/j/94576817686

Title: Peirce Disappears: C.S. Peirce and Early Logical Empiricism

Abstract:  Scholars of the history of philosophy of science read and hear a lot
about Duhem, Mach, Poincaré, and the members of the Vienna Circle. C.S. Peirce,
however, is not generally considered a canonical figure in the history of
philosophy of science. But in the early years of the logical empiricist
movement in the United States, Peirce received a warm reception from prominent
representatives, proponents, and sympathizers of logical empiricism including
Charles Morris, Ernst Nagel, Herbert Feigl, Phillip Frank, and W.V.O. Quine.
This reception was short-lived though and Peirce gradually disappeared from the
mainstream philosophy of science while logical empiricism turned into a
formidable movement.
In this talk, I begin by discussing examples of the early reception of Peirce’s
philosophy in the works of Morris, Nagel (and his student Justus Buchler),
Feigl, and Frank. I show the variety of topics (including logic, probability
theory, theories of truth and meaning, and social dimensions of science) in
which Peirce received a warm (though not uncritical) reception. We see that the
engagements with his works are persistent from the late 1920s to the 1950s and
get more refined over time. I then provide some explanations for the eventual
marginalization of Peirce in mainstream philosophy of science.