John, List:

I agree with John regarding the urgent relevance of Peirce to this century.

I have been a subscriber to this list for 17 years (since I was 26). In
that time, among other things, I co-founded a billion dollar cybersecurity
company (HUMAN Security, also one of the TIME100 Most Influential Companies
2023). Two personal observations:

1. Agapism has *greater predictive power* than the "Gospel of Greed" Peirce
railed against in "Evolutionary Love", his fifth article for the Open
Court. In evolutionary biology, I think this is substantially clearer now
than in Peirce's time, with the careful study of countless cases of group
selection > individual selection.

However, Peirce's insight is still underappreciated in today's thinking
about socio-economic evolution. Wealth *creation* -- distinct from zero sum
wealth transfer -- comes from a kind of sustainable generosity. There are
many examples of successful wealth *aggregators* whose success could be
predicted with naive selection pressure heuristics like "survival of the
fittest" or even "greed is good." However, those heuristics cannot account
for the extraordinary wealth creation of the past 200 years nor the
motivations of the most successful creators and the massive amount of
cooperation they shepherded. Peirce's model isn't just nicer or more
inspiring. It's a literally more useful model for understanding and
predicting reality, especially complex emergent phenomena (the "worlds
hidden in plain sight" as the Santa Fe Institute once put it).

2. An understanding of Peirce's notion of abduction dramatically
accelerates understanding of the (surprising!) emergent functionality of
large pretrained transformer models like GPT-4. (BTW it is a CRAZY tragedy
that there's another, vastly less useful, meaning of "abduction" now, hence
having to write qualifiers like "Peirce's notion of...".) In fact, I don't
see how you can understand how this emergent behavior arises -- what we're
calling the reasoning capabilities of these models -- without an
understanding of abduction as a kind of activity that you could be better
or worse at.

Warm regards,

Michael J.J. Tiffany
Portsmouth, New Hampshire