Ben, you say:

 I don't pose a tetradic reduction thesis applicable to all relations. I
just say that there's a fourth semiotic term that isn't any of the classic
three.

A sign stands for an object to an interpretant on the basis of a
recognition. I think that an increasingly good reason to suppose that
recognition can't be reduced to interpretant, sign, and object, is that
nobody has done so in any kind of straightforward way.

REPLY:

Has anybody tried?

BEN:

Basically, signs & interpretants lack experience conveyable to the mind. How
will you reduce experience of them respecting the object, reduce such
experience into things that lack experience conveyable to the mind? Where
did the experience vanish to? You can analyze, but not reduce, experience
into such by shifting phenomenological gears, semiotic frame of reference,
etc.

REPLY:

I don't see anything reductive in assuming that the analysis of cognition,
including recognition, can be done in terms of a signs, objects, and
interpretants as elements of or in cognitive processes, andif this involves
shifting phenomenological gears and semiotic frames of reference then so be
it.. Your suggestion that recognition should be acknowledged to be a
distinctive fourth factor seems to accomplish nothing other than to make it
impossible to analyze recognition at all since the conception of it is
already given, as a sort of logical primitive, prior to its use as an
analytic element.

But the truth is, Ben, that I just don't understand your argument.  I just
can/t follow it, and I can't really answer you effectively for that reason.
I guess I will have to leave that to Gary for the time being and hope that I
will in time come to understand what you are getting at.  I always take what
you say seriously, at the very least.

Joe Ransdell