Frances, list,

It's a bit hard to respond to this because, though it's okay for you to disagree with Peirce, you do so in ways that are vague to me; I don't really see clearly the viewpoint which you hold, so it's hard for me to address it. For instance, you say things like "...which signs then stand analogously for other things that may not be objects or signs, such as essences or unicorns or angels." Peirce is willing to treat, as objects and signs, such things as essences, unicorns (as objects & signs in a fictional world), and angels (whether angels would be treated as fiction, fact, or indeterminate, would depend on the semiotician, but still they would be signs & semiotic objects). You've clarified your use of the word "synechastic" somewhat, though not enough, and you still haven't defined "continuent," which is a hard one to figure out, especially with its anti-etymological "-ent" ending (the form would normally be "continuant"; I'm not saying that one should always use correct Latin participle forms, but please define and explain "continuent."). Things of these kinds make people worry that we're being subjected to a Sokal test of some kind http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/ .

You wrote,

"These guesses of mine about the topical issues at hand may possibly go to avoiding the logical or semiotical contradictions that your theory of the recognizant seems fearful."

I don't know how to address them as _*possibly*_ going to avoiding the logical or semiotical contradictions which I've tried to spotlight. They seem to start from the assumption, that triadicity & trichotomicality must be preserved, ergo how, possibly, might the recognizant aka agnoscent (the collaterally based experiential recognition of sign & interpretant in respect of the object) be accommodated in the triadistic or trichotomistic framework? I don't know how to respond to them except to say that, if the agnoscent is logically determined or determining but is not logically determined or determining in the role of object, sign, and interpretant, then it is a fourth semiotic element, and that won't be changed by any shifting of the agnoscent into some other division of logic; rather it will be "changed," or the idea of it will be defeated, by defeating the idea that semiotic triadic sufficiency means that anything which is logically determinational is logically determinational in the role of object, sign, or interpretant, and/or by defeating the idea that the agnoscent is logically determinational and/or by defeating the idea that the agnoscent is neither interpretant nor sign nor semiotic object in the relations in which it is the agnoscent, and/or by defeating some idea decisively involved with those ideas. I'm not sure how to respond to a counterargument that neither grants, nor argues against, the idea that _triadic sufficiency means that anything which is logically determinational is logically determinational in the role of object, sign, or interpretant_, and which neither grants, nor argues against, the idea that _the agnoscent is logically determinational_ and which neither grants, nor argues against, the idea that _the agnoscent is neither interpretant nor sign nor semiotic object in the relations in which it is the agnoscent_.

But let's say that you just aren't ready to grapple so directly with what I've said.  I'm often not ready to grapple directly with ideas with which I disagree. Why don't I just go along and see what turns up? I have, indeed, tried. But it is hard for me to follow your reasoning when the framework which you propose, though it is triadistic/trichotomistic (I once suggested the word "triastic" for that, but nobody seemed to like it), is nevertheless not quite Peircean and instead departs from the Peircean in ways that I have trouble understanding, ways that would be helpfully defined with some bold plain strokes isolating the key differences from Peirce. Okay, but I'll try, and we'll see whether I succeeded in not misunderstanding you.

In particular, you keep talking about "non-semiosic representamens." Yet Peirce introduced a provisional distinction between sign & representamen exactly in order to account for a case (the hypothetical example of a sunflower turning as producing another sunflower turning) where at least some elementary _semiosis_ takes place without the involvement of an actual mind. The world, said Peirce, is perfused with signs, and the everyday material world has endless signs, but the everyday world is not perfused with _embodied processes of semiosis_, and its signs are signs in virtue of one's mind's being so constituted and arranged as to be addressed by those signs. But what if a sunflower...? asked Peirce, and he gave a hypothetical example of a sunflower turning which produces another sunflower turning, and this is an example of a semiosis, an actually embodied process of semiosis, without the involvement of an actual mind. So, if anything, in terms of Peirce's provisional or tentative distinction between sign and interpretant, it is _physical natural signs_, which are non-semiosic, except in respect of leading to semioses in minds, and it is the representamen which is _always_ semiosic.

You wrote,

"...if mind wants to sense or think or know about any phaneron, it must do it by utilizing signs, which signs then stand analogously for other things that may not be objects or signs, such as essences or unicorns or angels. Indeed, if the assumed nomenal or epiphenomenal aspects of the world are to be sensed at all, it must be only by phenomenal signs that act as analogies."

That signs & interpretants are needed for intelligent perception & observation, doesn't mean that we have truck only with signs & interpretants and not with objects themselves. To be a sign or an interpretant or a semiotic object, is a role. Experience is enriched by being formed as collateral to sign & interpretant in respect of the object. One enriches & clarifies experience by bringing interpretants to it, interpretants which will clarify or fail to clarify and which will be borne out or be overturned, and this is a process of increasing the soundness of experience. You know the difference between interpretation and confirmation -- confirmation or disconfirmation is, at bottom, when you and/or your real connections stand to be actually, existentially affected by something.  Biological evolution tends to punish bad interpretants by removing the interpreter from the gene pool. We have brains and try to take that task over from biological evolution, for we can conduct serious tests without their being tests to our destruction. Some see in such confirmation mainly brute secondness somehow involved in triadic semiosis without semiosis' logically determining or being determined by those confirmations/disconfirmations AS confirmations/disconfirmations. In the conception of confirmation, however, I see the stable balancing of forces, into logical structures, stable balances, bornenesses, entelechies, no more or less different from unbalanced forces, agencies, and Peircean brute secondness, than matter is from energy, or _patiens_ is from _actum_. The recognizant (aka agnoscent) is part of semiosis as a process of logical determination. Etymologically, "semiosis" says "sign process." But philosophically, semiosis is the logical process of inquiry, coming to rest with the reasonable elimination of doubt, a holding-in-completeness, a firmness, _on the basis of which_ one acts (and further inquires, too). Doubt's reasonable elimination never did, does, will, or would happen by mere interpretation, but only ever, when at all, by confirmation, corroboration, verification, etc., etc.

You're saying (or seem to be saying) that we do NOT have direct experience of objects, and that one experiences one's experiences as drawings or narratives about things. I do experience things as signs and, in a sense, as drawings or narratives, about hidden aspects and hidden other things, but I don't experience _everything_ as hidden that way! It's just phenomenologically false. I don't experience everything as pure map & no territory. You're reintroducing the noumenal world which Peirce sought to banish. Moreover, it leads to an infinite regress of the bad kind. If I experience things only as signs, then do I experience those signs as the signs themselves or only as represented by still other signs? So the conception of phenomena is drawn into the black hole of the conception of noumena.

There is a difference between the tree itself and some picture of it. I don't think that an actual tree before me is merely an iconic symbol for a tree. If we don't hold that there are actual objects which we actually experience, then we won't be able to reasonably hold that there are actual signs which we actually experience, either. One will see not an actual picture of a tree, but an icon of a picture of a tree, though not an actual icon of a picture of a tree, but merely an icon of an icon of a picture of a tree, though not an actual icon of an icon of a picture of a tree, but merely an icon of an icon of an icon of a picture of a tree...etc.

So, as far as I can tell, you preserve semiotic triadicity by eliminating our experience of objects and, thereby, our existential stakes in the soundness of our experiences. But it is only in grappling with our experiences and their objects, in terms of our existential connections and risks, that we stay in contact with reality -- otherwise the conception of semiosis turns into a conception of a mirror maze where the object disappears, then the mirrors too.

Best, Ben