At 9:19 -0400 28-06-2006, Jim Piat wrote:

In any case, what I'm doing here is asking a question and would love for someone to attempt to sort through how the terms real, existent and true are related.

That's the big one Jim!

I like to start out from Peirce's definition of the real as "that object for which truth stands"

Regarding what is real, I think Peirce would say that we all have our opinions, more or well founded about what is real, or what the real is, and there is always a cheerful hope that we shall develop some further opinions on the matter that are even more well developed in this some respect or other.

But of course, we are fallible, and thus no none, however well read, can claim any kind of absolute monopoly on the truth, so it's better to always keep an open mind (bearing in mind too, that some matters have been reasonably well settled for the time being) and keep on asking questions and making (courageous) speculations about how matters that cause us puzzlement may best be answered on the basis of what we already know, or at least think we know.

Regarding existent, I think that Peirce always keeps fairly close to the whiteheadian notion of "actual occasions" in his conceptions of this, and again on this matter I think it is most profitable to make reference to his notion of matter as "effete mind", and Objects as Things or Existents that are characteristic for our experience of Secondness as a "Modality of Being".

In a letter to Lady Welby (See EPII: 479), and talking of Secondness (which he actually refers to in this particular connection as "Another Universe", distinguished by a particular "Modality of Being"), Peirce writes:

"Another Universe is that of, first, Objects whose Being consists in their Brute reactions, and of second, the facts (reactions, events, qualities etc.) concerning these Objects, all of which facts, in the last analysis, consist in their reactions. I call the Objects, Things, or more unambigously, Existents, and the facts about them I call Facts. Every member of this Universe is either a Single Object subject, alike to the Principles of Contradiction and to that of Excluded Middle, or it is expressible by a proposition having such a singular subject."

Best regards

Patrick
--

Patrick J. Coppock
Researcher: Philosophy and Theory of Language