On Thursday, July 4, 2002 at 14:06:16 (-0700) Michael Perelman writes:
>Help me out here Doug.  Usually, I would be inclined to believe Census figures
>over something from Texas, but
>
>Texas Transportation Institute. 2002. 2002 Urban Mobility Study
>http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/
>"Congestion is growing in areas of every size.  The 75 urban areas
>in this report range from New York City down to those with 100,000
>population.  All of the size categories show more severe congestion
>that lasts a longer period of time and affects more of the
>transportation network in 2000 than in 1982.  The average annual
>delay per peak road traveler climbed from 16 hours in 1982 to 62
>hours in 2000.  And delay over the same period more than quadrupled
>in areas with less than 1 million people."
>
>Is there anybody who sees something other than rapid congestion?  Or
>am I blinded by living in California.

Note that what Doug claims is not necessarily inconsistent with this.
Improvement in public transportation may very well entail a
deterioration in private transportation.  The numbers above, for 250
days a year (workweek travel) show delay increase from 3.8 minutes per
day to 14.8 minutes per day.  This doesn't seem like an accurate
picture of "congestion", if I've interpreted it correctly.

I think what would be useful are figures showing the relative amounts
spent on private versus public transportation.  I think the ratios are
usually about 4:1 or more.  In Texas, I imagine they are much higher.
In NYC, perhaps they approach parity or better?

Bill