Hi Christian

Christian: Hmm, not really. The difference is that money backed by gold is
convertible on
demand. Fiat money is not.

Karl: Concerning money as medium of exchange Marx in Capital has the
following to say (and I quote):

"The function of gold as coin becomes completely independent of the metallic
value of that gold. Therefore things that are relatively without value, such
as paper notes, can serve as coins in its place. This purely symbolic
character is to a certain extent masked in metal tokens. In paper money it
stands out plainly."

Karl: Money by its very nature in the form of medium is does not have to be
backed by gold. In the West it is not backed by gold as medium of exchange.
Millions of paper dollars function as medium of exchange. They are not
backed by gold. Yet they are money --money as medium of exchange.

Christain: Not according to Marx. A stock share is a claim on future income,
not on the
firm's tangible assets. That's fictitious capital.

Karl: You miss my point. My point is that Marx, in my view, may have been
mistaken in his view of share capital, equities, as fictitious capital. I am
not talking here of government stock.