I have had this argument with you before a few times, and there is a
philosophical difference between us there. I never said I agreed with
Greenspan, but what I am saying is that he does try to investigate real
economic life empirically in a serious way, as a basis for his governmental
responsibility, which many economists do not do. If I abuse Greenspan, it
has nil positive effect. But if I make a good argument which shows why he is
mistaken, that could convince a few people, or even bring them over to my
side.

I stated previously "Basically the bourgeoisie is telling the working class
to go whoring, instead of receive social assistance benefits for which they
were previously taxed by their own elected government." Maybe this seems an
outrageous exaggeration by a sinner like me, certainly Joanna didn't like it
and thought a correction was appropriate, but I think it is an empirically
verifiable corrollary of endless marketisation, because I believe it is true
that more market = more socio-economic inequality between people,
irrespective of whether that is good or bad (for the most part, I think it
is bad).

The ultimate argument of the bourgeois class concerning individual
initiative and the market is, that everybody has something they can sell to
get an income, and thus, if they don't do it, the inquality or disparity
which results is just "natural" (the dispute then is about exceptions to the
rule, such as the disabled and so on). I.e., the rich are rich because they
are rich, and the poor are poor because they are poor. And for the rest,
insofar as the market doesn't enforce a specific morality, it is a question
of fostering a specific individual morality. And I think you can
legitimately question that and argue about it.

But I don't think I get anywhere if I say that people should be arguing
about things completely differently from what they are actually arguing
about, rather, I ought to explain why they are arguing about it, engage with
what's being said, and if I say they're just stupid clowns or scam artists,
I don't think I score many points. I don't claim to have the complete
picture of Greenspan but I have followed him a bit over the years and feel
able to make the comment I did make. I think you are wrong to think that
Greenspan doesn't have a theory, but I think Greenspan is also a politician
or ideologist of sorts, who is fully aware of the "furies of private
interest" to which Marx refers in his comments about the political
economists in the Preface to his magnum opus. I prefer to stick to the norm
of "respect the person, criticise/change the behaviour" if at all possible.

J.