Carrol Cox said:
No, you are not missing anything. The kind of communist party that would
join with the u.s. is a party of careerists and (as Lou says) Quislings
whose only relationship to the communist tradition is to spit on it.

This observation about "careerist" is a bit ironic, given the demgoraphic of the people who post to this list, don't you think?

Now I've promised myself to avoid being simply insulting in my posts from
now on.

I think we have to take the ICP seriously for a number of important reasons.
First, the alternative to a peaceful transition (regardless of its
framework) to a secular (or at least mostly) democratic state is what? I
know there are a lot of fans of more violence and uprisings on this list and
what not (still a problematic postion in my view for people living in the
west ), but this war is not really like Vietnam nor is it really like
Palestine, or whatever comparison is in fashion these days. Who is
supporting the "uprising"? What is its ideological orientation? Part of it
is religious fundamentalists; part of it is former Ba'ath Party miltiary
elements. The choices for social organization seem to be a return to
Saddam-style rule (fascist, notwithstanding some on the left even on this
list who think he was ok) or a system closer to that of Iran -- both imposed
on an economic infrastructure completely demolished by three wars and 10
years of sanctions in just over 2 decades.

Now who can take seriously a detached left located in the west that
objectively supports one of these options (and it really doesn't matter
which because that western left is only interested seeing the U.S. suffer
military defeats not peace and reconstruction).

Best,

Joel Wendland
http://www.politicalaffairs.net
http://classwarnotes.blogspot.com