chromatic wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 17:27:24 Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Someone (MLEHMANN) doesn't like smoking... That was a test report
>> generated by CPAN::Reporter.
>>
>> It hadn't previously occurred to me that test reports might cause
>> offence...
>
> Didn't you get a whole slew of them a while back where the problem was that
> that the reporter hadn't properly configured Windows to build modules?  How
> about the one where the reporter had configured CPAN never to follow
> dependencies?

That said, looking through IO::AIO's failures they seem reasonably legit to
me.  It has trouble on BSD, and some other systems, a useful thing to know.
IO::AIO lacks any special INSTALL instructions or special notes about BSD in
general.  There are a couple notes generated by the Makefile.PL about FreeBSD
and threading and Linux and malloc issues, but that will whiz by and likely be
completely missed.  So even a human installer would not know what to do.

Anyhow, what's clear is there is a problem with IO::AIO.  It hasn't been
addressed properly by the author.  While it's frustrating to get a constant
stream of "your shit is broke", his shit is indeed broke.  This is a clear
case of CPAN Testers technology working as expected and tickling a social
problem.

It is particularly near to my heart as Test::More has a similiar problem with
thread tests and I'm not sure what to do about it.  There was the suggested
"author does not care" marker for tests which might fail but are only for the
information of the installer -- the author already knows about them, don't
report the failure.

As for the social problem, the BSD testers could try to help out with whatever
the problem is.  On Marc's side he could ask for help instead of asking
everyone to turn off the immensely useful automated testing.  It could also
use an INSTALL doc and have the Makefile.PL warnings be more prominent with
perhaps a pause, beep or a well-behaved "Do you wish to continue? [No]".

--
I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
        -- Vaarsuvius, "Order of the Stick"