If memory serves me right, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> The CLR runtimes use 16 bit chars and UTF16-encoded strings (at least as
> far as it's visible to the 'user' programs).

10    23.2.3     #Strings heap
11         The stream of bytes pointed to by a "#Strings" header is the physical
representation of the logical string heap.
13         but parts that are reachable from a table shall contain a valid null
terminated UTF8 string. When the #String

So I think the runtime does a UTF16 conversion , I suppose ...So you're right
... all C# programs get UTF16 strings to work with... but that's not the way
they're in meta-data... (JVM also has UTF8 strings and 16 bit chars, it's not
really a big issue :)

But coming back to parrot ... I don't think parrot uses UTF8 (from what
I could gather it seems to be all ASCII ?) ... Or is UTF8 hiding in
somewhere ?...

Gopal