At 10:07 AM -0800 1/12/03, Brent Dax wrote:
Gopal V:
# But coming back to parrot ... I don't think parrot uses UTF8
# (from what I could gather it seems to be all ASCII ?) ... Or
# is UTF8 hiding in
# somewhere ?...

Parrot will have a "default string type" that's build-specific, so that
e.g. Asian nations can have whatever the most popular encoding is in
their country.  The "default default string type" will be utf8, but it's
currently ASCII because Unicode Is Hard.
Well... default may well be latin-1 or plain ASCII, because Unicode Is Unneccesary. :) Well, most of the time at least. Unicode, of course, will be available, but if the data coming in is ASCII or Latin-1, re-encoding's a bit of a waste of time.

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even