On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:36:43PM -0500, James Mastros wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 01:17:35PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > What I think is needed is some sort of opaque tag: the name of the
> > 'contract' the API claims to fulfill.  The name can be the name of
> > the standard, the name of the company, the name of the individual.
> > (Java does a very similar thing but they propose embedding the DNS
> > name as part of the package name: I think they the right idea but
> > the proposed implementation sucks.)
> Well, what you're looking for is a universaly unique identifier.

I'm looking for a *hopefully* unique enough id that's also user
friendly.  A DNS name is assuming too much about the organizational
structure and a mile long hex digit isn't very friendly, and neither
of them is very descriptive.  "XPG4 SysV IPC" would be. (I just made
that one up.)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen