Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and "Brent Dax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wh
ispered:
| $a.$b;
| a.$b;
|
| Unless we decide that objects can contain scalars
| and to access them you must prefix their name with $, the middle pair can't
| be object calls, so they're concat.

How about symbolic refs to function names?

$a = $x ? "hop" : "skip";
$b = $y ? "scotch" : "soda";

$a.$b;  # call one of hop.scotch, skip.scotch, hop.soda, skip.soda

Might we have an issue there where these can be ambiguous as well?

| 1) we define a cc (or something like that--I prefer j, since it's shorter)
| operator that _always_ means concat, or

Two operators to do the same thing.  One just to handle the case where the
other is ambigous?  I don't think so.

| 2) when you mean "call a function called b", you have to say &b;

How do you call a builtin function then?

| Alternately, we can overload . to do a deref on (blessed?) references, and
| concat otherwise.

I think this would lead to hard to find bugs when someone mispelled
something.

| Does any of that make sense?  Or should I be returned to my straightjacket?
| :^)

They're coming to take us away, ha ha.
They're coming to take us away.

Why should you be the only one allowed out of your jacket?  If the rest of
us have to wear them, so should you.  ;-)

-spp