On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:38:01PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Thomas Yandell skribis 2005-04-12 13:13 (+0100):
> > According to Wikipedia there are around 400 million native English speakers
> > and 600 million people who have English as a second language. Should the
> > remaining ~5.5 billion humans be exluded from writing perl code just so that
> > we English speakers can understand all the code that is written?
> But your numbers are utterly useless, as they are counts of humans, not
> programmers. I think that the number of programmers who don't understand
> English is very small. They know English because historically, the
> programmer's world has been English.

There's another issue that he didn't address.

OK, let's allow identifiers in (say) Urdu.  That's great for the three
people in the entire world who speak Urdu, right up to the moment that
they want their English, or Russian, or German, or Japanese users to
submit patches.

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
        -- Alan Cooper