Alex Elsayed wrote:
On Thursday 28 May 2009 4:54:50 pm Daniel Carrera wrote:
On the other hand, distributing Parrot bytecode (or PIR, or PASM) seems
fine. But I don't know what to suggest for modules that require a C
compiler.
The problem with that is that Rakudo isn't the "Official" impelentation, and never will be. Distributing modules as Parrot bytecode would lock out other implementations, something that is very strongly discouraged.

I know that Rakudo is not the official implementation. The problem is that you misunderstood my post. I did not say to distribute PIR to the exclusion of Perl source. You know that I was replying to Larry's comment that he supported the notion of distributing binaries. Surely you didn't think that Larry meant "distribute binaries to the exclusion of Perl source", did you? Therefore, my comment is a reply to the binary aspect and the central part of my comment is the problem with modules that require a C compiler.

* Collision detection - It becomes impossible to prevent another package from overwriting a file installed this way

Nothing is impossible. The first method that crossed your mind may not do it, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. In any case, the drawbacks are no worse than what the current CPAN shell does today. And the current CPAN shell obviously work fairly well. The current system has room for improvement, but any argument that says "it can't work" is flawed because it is working right this minute and it has been working for years.

Daniel.