On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 08:10:41PM -0500, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> John Macdonald john-at-perlwolf.com |Perl 6| wrote:
>> However, the assumption fails if "process" is supposed to mean that
>> everyone is capable of generating Unicode in the messages that they
>> are writing.  I don't create non-English text often enough to have
>> it yet be useful to learn how.  (I'd just forget faster than I'd use
>> it and have to learn it again each time - but Perl 6 might just be
>> the tipping point to make learning Unicode composition worthwhile.)
>>

> Just copy/paste from another message or a web page.  Perhaps a web page
> designed for that purpose...

Yep, I've done that.

But comparing the difference in effort between:

- press a key
- Google for a web page that has the right character set, cut, refocus, paste

means that I don't bother for the one or two "weird" characters
every few months that is my current Unicode usage.  If I were
working with Unicode frequently, it would be worth setting up
links and mechanisms, or learning the keyboard compose sequences
for frequently used characters.  I'm sure that there are many
people in a similar situation.