Egad, no to the equivalence.  We'd be back in
case-insensitive-language land, only without the benefit of even that
dubious tradition.

And at least for me, the beef with mixing hyphens and underscores is
not that the great unwashed masses can't handle it, but that there
will inevitably be cases where even the elite rocket surgeons in their
ivory control towers can't agree on which is "correct".  It's less
"too subtle for JAPH" and more "too subtle for consensus even among
the cognoscenti.".  The edge cases would be back to rote memorization.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjr...@gmail.com>