We have just finished using RFCs for brainstorming.  They served
several purposes:
 - to provide a common reference point for discussion
 - to make people think through their suggestions (the hit-and-miss
   IMPLEMENTATION section)
 - to document the results of the discussion (not always effective)

I've heard people asking for RFCs to continue after the brainstorming.
What do we want to do that we need RFCs for?  Design?  Implementation?
Working out the fine details of behaviour?

I don't want to assume that RFCs are the right solution for this.  I
want to know what we want to accomplish, and then figure out what
system to use to get there.  We didn't begin with a good picture of
what the first phase was (brainstorming, not detailed design), nor
of the volume of suggestions, and some of the problems we had with
RFCs came out of those mistakes.  I'm trying not to repeat them.

Nat