At 06:38 PM 10/8/00 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
>the second part is internals. not to take anything from dan, but i see a
>bottom up approach being very useful here.

I disagree. This is too big a project to manage that way. If we do it we're
setting ourselves up for an enormous amount of trouble later on. (And not
that much later at that) The various pieces *must* have well-defined
interfaces and behaviours, and that absolutely has to be specified before
work begins on any particular piece.

>hammer out some
>working/prototype vtable code, work on the new I/O subsystems (this is a
>big project in its own right), work on byte code and related design
>issues, etc. again, these teams should be led and staffed by people with
>real experience in those areas. this should not be a public exercise
>(again read only should apply to any outsiders).

Sure, as long as the behaviours of the individual pieces are known when
work starts.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk