Peter Buckingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think that it is important that the developers have some free method
> of communication without being bogged down by insignificant details.

While I definitely agree with this, and I find the idea of focused,
read-only lists for core developers a rather fascinating idea, I do also
feel obligated to mention that the vast majority of free software projects
that I follow don't use this mechanism and seem to do okay.  Projects like
gcc and autoconf have open development lists and the signal-to-noise ratio
stays quite high.

I do feel obligated to mention that the one free software project that
does use a private list for core development, namely CVS (at least at some
points in the past), I found highly annoying.  But that was much more due
to the inability to read that list than the inability to post to it.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>