> > And yes, I would make building out of the source directory a
> > requirement.
>
> You mean, 'building outside of the source dir'?  If so, three cheers.

Stephen Zander has been working towards an "out-source-experience" for perl5.
Configure is supposedly already fine for this, it's the Makefiles,
the numerous shellscripts, and MakeMaker who oppose building outside
of the source directory such an adventure.  Stephen even did have
a rather promising patch few weeks before 5.6.0, but unfortunately
it wasn't as portable as we hoped because there are so many different
flavors of make out there.  So it didn't go in.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen