Hi,

Hi Conrad,

I run the grant committee for the Perl Foundation and I sit on the steering
committee, so I suppose I can discuss your proposal (there are some other TPF
folk here, too, so that's why this is a public email).  Also, the following
stuff is just off the top of my head and is in no way official.

For TPF to handle something like this, we'd have to have some agreement on what the specs are, who would judge whether or not a Wiki met the specs and what to do if there were timing concerns (if we get one Wiki before another even the the later one was sent first, who wins?)
Oh my, this is getting complicated :)

Also, though I hate to be a spoilsport and bring this up, I'm really not sure
what legal issues might be involved with running a contest, either.  Would that
be considered a form of gambling and possibly be illegal?  I don't think so,
but I'm not sure.
Well, it cannot be gambling. IMHO something constitutes to gambling only if:
- the outcome (who wins/loses) is mostly controlled by chance
- you have to pay in order to participate
Both should hold and none holds.

However, there might be taxing issues...

In any event, if you can come up with a solid set of contest rules, TPF can
consider whether or not we can officially run the contest.  It sounds like a
nice idea, I just don't know what's involved.
<i_am_so_bad>
If I had some mone to spare for a contest like this, I would say: "I have the money so I make the rules" :) Some might not like that, but it makes things much less complicated. It's Conrad's money and his generous gesture. I would say let him decide who makes the specification and let him name the winner, according to the rules he comes up with. Those who will be unhappy with the result can always STFU, don't they? ;)
</i_am_so_bad>

Of course if the community can make this happen is a nice and "controlled" way, that would be the best. I just like pragmatism :))

- Fagzal