On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:34:47AM +0200, Juerd wrote:
: Larry Wall skribis 2006-09-21 15:24 (-0700):
: > : > That is, empty .[] has the same arrayifying semantics as @.  (This is
: > : > currently b0rken in pugs though.)  Likewise .{} is equivalen to %.
: > : Nice, but what's the syntax for an empty slice then?
: > Oh, I expect .[()] would work for that.  Why you'd want one beats me.
:
: Generated code. It's nice that Perl usually isn't picky about such
: things, because it saves you a lot of special cases when you're
: generating code.

Well, sure, and for related reasons 1..0 is an empty list rather than
a reversed list.  On the other hand, we do use negative subscripts assuming
the user intended them.  For the empty slice I expect the usual solution
would end up looking like .[,] unless the code generator outsmarts itself
by using join to suppress the trailing comma.

Larry