To expand on why putting the file in a directory doesn't Just Work, and why so much magic needs to be there for it to work: loading modules is a complicated thing in Perl 6, and long story short, if you want to be able to have multiple versions installed and loadable at the same time, you need some magic under the hood to compensate for that. This magic is what makes installing/precompiling a module you want to have installed more complicated than a couple of 'mv's.

If you want to avoid the overhead of panda or other installers (to their defense, there are several good reasons why they're so bulky and complicated :)), I sometimes use a script based on Module::Toolkit, where if you want to "just install the damned thing, nothing else", it's just a simple 'mtk install .': https://gist.github.com/tadzik/dc5c12cab0dc141167fb850f9ede2117

Hope this helps,

tadzik