On 09/15/2017 02:05 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
On 09/15/2017 01:54 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:51 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com <mailto:toddandma...@zoho.com>> wrote:

    On 09/15/2017 01:29 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

        Everyone does at one time :) It's really useful for debugging,
        but you generally strip it out of production code.

    I saw a business study somewhere (I don't remember where)
    that determined that the notes folks doodle into the margins on
    working papers are often time more useful than the papers
    themselves.  One wonders how much of this happens in Perl!

That'd be comments, actually. Sadly, the same rule doesn't seem to apply; programmers are terrible at writing useful comments for the most part.

Hi Brandon,

I "LOVE" to program in Top Down.  You have command and execution.
It reads like a contract.  It is harder to write than Stream of
Conscience, but it is insanely easier to maintain.  This is because
the structure makes it even more powerful than comments.  But
you still have to use comments.

The command sections tells you what it happening.  The subs tell
you the nitty-gritty of how.  I learned all this in my Pascal / Modula2
days.  If one is not careful and loves to program in Stream of
Conscience, you can come up with a write only language very quickly.

-T

I am a huge fan of Dr. Deming's work.  He states clearly
the every time you have to "rework" a product, you add
substantially to the cost out the door.  This is why
he tell you to get good quality parts up front and
not try to test quality into the product down the line.
he also tells you not to shut the R&D down prematurely
to save cost.  And yes, this is anathema to managers
that are rewarded for buying the cheapest parts and
the quickest R&D cycles.

By putting up front work into your program (Top Down),
you reduce the back end work in maintaining your code,
substantially.

One of the reasons I love Perl 6 is that its subs fit
perfectly into my Top Down programming.

What in the world was Perl 5 thinking when they decided
to pass their variables in "@_".  YEE GADS!  Half my
Perl 5 subs are comments explaining the the heck I
just passed.  And arrays have to be passed as references!
YEE GADS TWICE !!!

--
Computers are like air conditioners.