I just found this mail in my archives.  Connie, you may be
interested. (note the date)

behdad

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:15:12
From: Linas Kondratas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Arabic/Persian keybord driver

Dear brother?/sister? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

As-salamu alaykum,

I would be thankful if you could provide me some informations concerning the
possibility to write a special keybord driver for Arabic and Persian.

The problem is the following: I am living in a Kafir country(Lithuania)
which uses the Latin alphabet. I am therefore very used to Latin letters,
excellently know their places etc. Arabic and Persian however have different
keybord layouts, and Persian "peh" is in different place than Latin "p". It
is not so much difficult thing for a Persian or Arab, since they learn their
own layout first so to say with the milk of mother :-) and only then learn
to use the Latin layout(if they need it at all), but for me it is a big
difficulty.

http://www.langbox.com/AraZilla/#screen

For example using the layout provided by this site, one has Dad in the place
of q, Sad in the place of w, theh in the place of e and so on; the word
khudA for example has to be typed as i]h !!! instead of xd\.

I get an idea that it would be a good thing to write a keybord driver to
enter using Latin letters without any need to have to remember places for
Arabic and Persian letters and/or to paint the letters on the keys.

Here is a table showing the keys or combination of keys which would be
needed to type an Arabo-Persian letter:

ALEF WITH MADDA \\
ALEF   \
HAMZA  '
BEH    b
PEH    p
TEH    t
THEH   th
teh + heh  t-h
JEEM   j
TCHEH  ch
HAH    H
KHAH   x
DAL    d
THAL   dh
REH    r
ZAIN   z
JEH    zh
zain+heh z-h
SEEN   s
SHEEN  sh
seen+heh s-h
SAD    S
DAD    D
TAH    T
ZAH    Z
AIN    3
GHAIN  gh
FEH    f
QAF    q
KEHEH  k
GAF    g
LAM    l
MEEM   m
NOON   n
WAW    w
HEH    h
FARSI YEH y

FATHA  a
KASRA  e
DAMMA  o
FATHATAN  aa
KASRATAN  ee
DAMMATAN  oo
ARABIC SHADDA   W
ARABIC SUKUN    O
ALEF WITH HAMZA ABOVE \'
WAW WITH HAMZA ABOVE  w'
ALEF WITH HAMZA BELOW \"
YEH WITH HAMZA ABOVE  i'
TEH MARBUTA  a;
ARABIC LETTER KAF K
ARABIC LETTER YEH i
WASLA(if such symbol exists) S
I hope you will get the idea.

I will give some an example how the first line of the Fatiha would be
entered by using my system:

without vocalization

\lHmd llh rb \l3\lmyn

with full vocalization

\alOHamOdo lelWhe rabWe \SlO3a\lameyna

A line from Hafiz

\gr \yn trk shr\zy bdst \\rd dl mr\

It doesn't mean that I would have to prepare a text using such transcription
then decode it by a special program, no. Would I would need it is that
Arabic persian text using Arabic or Persian text redactor appears as I am
typing the letters.

Now the question - maybe you have a source code for an ordinary keybord
driver, so that using it I could produce my own special keybord driver.

I am going to use the Linux system on my computer.

Another question:

It is necessary to write a separate keybord driver for every encoding, as
eg. ISIRI 3342, ISIRI 2900, IRAN SYSTEM, ISO 8859-6, MS Arabic, Unicode or
it is enough to have one for all?

Khuda Hafez(xd\ H\fZ),

Abdurrahman Linas Kondratas