On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:30, Linguasoft wrote:
> What may make more sense these days is a keyboard that supports all the
> glyphs of the Extended Arabic codeset, from Maghrebian to Uyghur or Malay,
> and since many of the people concerned have been subject to one or several
> script "reforms" in a not too distant past, or are at least used to English
> or Russian as commercial (and computing) languages, it would probably be
> best to start this approach on the basis of a standard US or Cyrillic
> keyboard.

This is not interesting for the users of those languages, of course.
This will only be useful to scholars. And I really believe you won't be
able to get two scholars agree on the same layout, since uses will
differ. No one wants to enter a frequent letter holding down both Shift
and AltGr.

> I've made an alternative approach and tried to discuss with people in
> Pakistan and Afghanistan the usefulness of adapting the Iranian standard
> keyboard layout to their languages (as at least in case of Dari, the
> advantages would be clear) but received mostly negative comments.

Michael Everson and me have tried our best to make the Afghan Persian
(Dari) layout compatible with the Iranian Persian one. See page 19 of

http://www.evertype.com/standards/af/af-locales.pdf

(That report has been approved by the interim government of
Afghanistan.)

> This topic may go beyond the scope of this forum (moderator?), so if forum
> members are interested in further discussion, please contact me offlist.

This is not off-topic really, IMO.

roozbeh