Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 04:53:31 -0500
From: Pedram Safari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     Behdad Esfahbod <behdad>
Subject: Re: English-Persian dictionary on your site

Dear Behdad Esfahbod,

Thank you for your interest in the English-Persian dictionary on my
homepage. Let me first tell you that I am not aware of the copyright
status of the dictionary, I am just hosting Masood's program. I am also
not aware of the inquiry you are talking about. But I can tell you a few
facts, if that helps.

First, I know that Masood himself wrote the script that runs the
dictionary -- I can testify to that. I do not know how he has obtained the
database, if he has entered that himself manually or he has received it
from other sources. I also think he had once told me that the data is
based on Aryanpour's dictionary, but I was not in a position to verify
that, so I preferred not to advertise the dictionary using Aryanpours'
popularity.

Next thing I can assure you of is that I personally gave the source file
of Masood's program, including the database, to people in the Computing
Center of Sharif University of Technology (either to Majid Khanban or to
Rouzbeh Pournader). I gave the source files to them based on Masood's
permission. They said they wanted to write a php file to better suit their
website, which was OK with us.

These are the facts. After a while they put up an English-Persian
dictionary (on the schoolnet site, I suppose), without giving Masood any
credit. I can think that they have used the database as well, but I can
not be sure.

In any case, I guess there is no copyright law being enforced in our
country, but I am certainly not in favor of plagiarism, so if you can
prove to me that there is a theft involved, I will take necessary action.
I am also quite curious about the source of the dictionary on schoolnet.

You may circulate this e-mail to people who might be interested, but on
two conditions. To avoid any abuse, no part of this message should be
deleted during the circulation and it should go around in its entirety. I
should also receive any reply or comment relate to this issue.

Best
Pedram