On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> There are many claims that this doesn't add anything to the Mo'in
> Persian dictionary,
How is that possible when it's physically twice as big?
And now Pedram informs us it has a different approach, namely
*definitions* rather than *synonyms*.

> and is a real waste of paper and shelf space.
"Waste" is what's in our favor here! Sokhan stands to lose no money if
they just hand over the data and all rights.  It will be good publicity
for them!

> I've
> heard oral critiques by Dr Masoumi-Hamedani (head of the Persian
> Academy's Language and Computer group) and Mr Pourmomtaz (a linguist,
> and the head of "tarh-e jaame'-e kaarbari-e zabaan-e faarsi"). I'm not
> into the game of ethymology etc, but can ask the people who claimed such
> for more details, if you insist.

I'm sure it has a million defects. For example, I found one word
"ghash-gir" meaning "book-end" and tried to use that on my Iranian friends
but they'd never heard of it. (I'm not sure if the word was incorrect or
you don't have book-ends in Iran! You know, the support you put at the end
of your shelf to keep your books from toppling over...) I don't know if
all the modern words have been approved by the Academy. Even so, it's
wonderful!

> This was funded by a private publisher, as far as I know.
No publisher could have afforded that without subsidy.
In any case, they'd better do something with it soon, whether sell to
someone who can afford it or give to us for free.  Dictionaries get
superceded rapidly so they'd better hurry!

-Connie