Roozbeh,
I bet you've never used MSFT word, have you? I had to use it for the reports/thesis I did at Sharif (circa 1997-8). There is this feature called 'Master Document' that is basically a binder for all kinds of word files, and can handle the chapter/page numbering and such. (I am talking about Word 6.0, the later versions should still have this feature).
Fortunately, I have a good pen now. I just use it to write :-)

Masoud