On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 09:51:47AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> >> I could not find this:
> >>
> >> $ git log -1 f8e5f15
> >> commit f8e5f156b30efee5d0038b03e38735773abcb7ed
> >> Author: Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de>
> >> Date:   Mon Sep 18 19:36:44 2017 -0700
> >>
> >>     Rearm statement_timeout after each executed query.
> >>
> >>     Previously statement_timeout, in the extended protocol, affected all
> >>     messages till a Sync message.  For clients that pipeline/batch query
> >>     execution that's problematic.
> >>
> >>     Instead disable timeout after each Execute message, and enable, if
> >>     necessary, the timer in start_xact_command(). As that's done only for
> >>     Execute and not Parse / Bind, pipelining the latter two could still
> >>     cause undesirable timeouts. But a survey of protocol implementations
> >>     shows that all drivers issue Sync messages when preparing, and adding
> >>     timeout rearming to both is fairly expensive for the common parse /
> >>     bind / execute sequence.
> >>
> >>     Author: Tatsuo Ishii, editorialized by Andres Freund
> >>     Reviewed-By: Takayuki Tsunakawa, Andres Freund
> >> https://postgr.es/m/20170222.115044.1665674502985097185.t-is...@sraoss.co.jp
> >
> > That seemed too detailed for the release notes.  Is that wrong?
>
> This commit gives user-visible changes to the statment timeout
> behavior. So I think this should be added to the release notes.

OK, makes sense. Here is what I added:

        2017-09-18 [f8e5f156b] Rearm statement_timeout after each executed
query.

        In the <link linkend="protocol-query-concepts">Extended Query
        to each <literal>Execute</literal> message, not to all commands
        before <literal>Sync</literal> (Tatsuo Ishii)

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us