On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 01:19:41PM -0400, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I wouldn't be too sorry to just bump our minimum requirements for Windows,
> in v11. Assuming that recent-enough versions of OpenLSAP and OpenSSL are
> readily available on Windows.

s/OpenLSAP/OpenLDAP/.

It may be better to look at what the installers of EDB do then for this
purpose...  I don't have a Windows VM at hand now to install or
decompress this MSI, but my guess is that they use the LTS version of
1.0.2.

> I think on Windows, you typically bundle the
> .dlls with the PostgreSQL binaries, so it would be natural to bundle the
> latest available libraries.

Any sane Windows build would link to its dependent DLLs dynamically,
meaning that you usually need a copy of the DLLs in both bin/ and lib/
as libpq also needs to be able to load them and those need to be on the
same path as the library loaded (My Windows-bundling skills in this area
are far from being top-notch, but I got bitten by such things in the
past.)

> And in the unlikely case that you'd want to use
> older ones, you could still modify pg_config.h.win32 manually.

That makes the life of installer maintainers a bit harder than necessary
though.  One idea to simplify things could be to introduce an extra,
optional file whose contents are copied at the bottom of pg_config.h
automatically.  I am not sure that this is worth the pain, just
mentioning the possibility.
--
Michael