On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:00:31 +0200
From: Heikki Linnakangas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Zdenek Kotala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cvs head initdb hangs on unixware

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
Hmm.  It looks to me like the compiler is getting confused by the
interaction between nodeno, leftnodeno, and rightnodeno.  Try this
patch to see if it gets around it.  (This is a tad better anyway
since it avoids examining the right child if not needed.)

Brillant!
You made my day, can't wait for this patch to be committed.

I find it pretty scary to work around compiler bugs like this. Who knows what other code it miscompiles. Can you reduce fsm_search_avail into a small stand-alone test program, and file a bug report with the compiler vendor?
FWIW, the compiler doesn't miscompîle anything on postgresql, as an heavy user/hoster, I'd know!

Let's not start a flame here, SCO compiler is as good or as bad as anyother..

Never saw a problem with gcc, hp-ux, darwin or M$?

BTW, why does this work on warthog buildfarm member? Different compiler version?

it's configured with --enable-debug.
Maybe run_build.pl should run twice, onece with --enable-debug once without.

--
Olivier PRENANT                 Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
15, Chemin des Monges                +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)