On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 09:36:38AM -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:05 AM, David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> > As has been discussed here many, many times, the only kind of
> > person who should be doing a patent search is a company's IP
> > attorney, which you are not, and even if you were, under no
> > circumstances would such a person paste that link in a public
> > forum.
>
> First of all, it was not an intentional patent search.

I don't see anything in patent law or case law that talks about
"intentional."

> Secondly, I don't believe there's any restriction of explicitly what
> can and cannot be posted on a public Postgres mailing list.

We have plenty of such restrictions.  Take the Nazi spammer, for
example, and what he's doing is just offensive and silly.  What you're
doing exposes people to real, substantive harm.

> > Should we have a kick-off policy for this kind of misbehavior?
>
> Shut up David.

Not a chance.

This is a very big deal, as you are exposing every US PostgreSQL
contributor to triple damages for "knowing infringement."  Are you
saying you're going to pay all that out of your own pocket?  Are you
making a legal commitment, say, with a few tens of million dollars in
escrow to back it?

Cheers,
David.
--