Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Hello,

Something that continues to grind my teeth about our software is that we
are horribly inconsistent with our system catalogs. Now I am fully and
100% aware that changing this will break things in user land but I want
to do it anyway. In order to do that I believe we need to come up with a
very loud, extremely verbose method of communicating to people that 8.5
*will* break things.
It seems to me that the best method would be to follow the
information_schema naming conventions as information_schema is standard
compliant (right?).

Well, honestly, this was one of the reasons why AndrewSN, David and I pushed NewSysViews. Non-hackers really shouldn't be accessing the system catalogs directly, and if information_schema doesn't give them enough data, we should start adding new views to I_S.

--Josh