Josh Berkus wrote:

Well, honestly, this was one of the reasons why AndrewSN, David and I
... and Elein ...

pushed NewSysViews. Non-hackers really shouldn't be accessing the system catalogs directly, and if information_schema doesn't give them enough data, we should start adding new views to I_S.

This is really a long way from JD's original suggestion, though.

Back on that track, I'd like to see a facility whereby we could provide an alias (or synonym, to use a nearby subject) columns and other objects. That would help to overcome naming glitches without breaking things quite so much.

cheers

andrew